About Kathy Larson
Kathy is an accomplished national and international professional developer, who emphasizes community building and achieving continuous growth with professionals at every level in the education system. She served as a consultant for the Cooperative Educational Service Agency #2, where she designed and delivered learning opportunities to 76 school districts in the region specializing in group facilitation for solving problems, strengthening professional growth, and building leadership skills with integrity of purpose. Her work is characterized by her engaging delivery, interactive and provocative learning designs, and performance-based approaches.
Kathy serves as an adjunct faculty member at Viterbo University, LaCrosse, WI, Carroll University, and the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and is an associate member of Consensus Associates, Terrebonne, CO. She specializes in various topics which include building professional cultures, mentoring, classroom walkthroughs for school systems, coaching for courageous conversations and leadership skills. She consults with various state agencies including the Minnesota Elementary and Secondary Principals Association, Minnesota Regional Education Cooperatives, Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction, University Systems, Wisconsin Education Association Council, Wisconsin Association of School Business Officers, Association of Wisconsin School Administrators, and Wisconsin Association of School District Administrators.
Kathy received the “Outstanding Achievement” award in 1999 by the regional division of Council of Administrators of Special Services, contributed to DPI publications for educator licensing, and is the coauthor of The Mentoring Year: A Step by Step Program for Professional Development, Corwin Press.
- Larson, K. (2003). The Mentoring Year. Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin Press.
Articles (Most Recent)
- Larson, K. (2007, Summer). Developing Reflective Practice through Snapshots of Teaching and Learning. NAESP Leadership Compass. Vol. 4 (No. 4).
- Professional Development Plans: Breathing Fresh Air into Teacher Quality, National School Conference Institutes, Archdiocese of Green Bay, WI; Archdiocese of LaCrosse
- Ten Things to Remember about Your First Year of Teaching, Janesville School District
- Building Humor into the Classroom; UW-Whitewater graduating teachers
- Different Strokes for Different Folks: Differentiating Classroom Instruction; Clinton, WI
- Classroom Walkthrough for School Systems: A First Tier Appraisal System for Quality Improvement ©2004.
- Professional Growth Plans for Educators: A Second Tier Appraisal System for Quality Improvement
- Leading the Resistant to Follow Your Lead: A Third Tier Appraisal System for Quality Improvement ©2009.
- Building a Professional Community: Together We Are Better
- From Classroom Management to Classroom Leadership: Transforming the Classroom into a Learning Community